“Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun.”
– Kahlil Gibran
What to Plant:
- Plant ground covers and by the middle to end of the month, hot weather annuals
- Plant bermuda.
- Plant vegetables and perennial herbs in prepared soil or containers.
What to Prune:
- Prune spring blooming shrubs such as forsythia after they finish flowering.
- Prune climbing roses after their blooms fade.
- DO NOT prune live oaks and red oaks at this time.
What to Manage:
- Aphids and powdery mildew on roses, ornamentals, and vegetables
- Black spot on roses. Apply fungicide as necessary according to label directions.
- Watch for and treat bagworms on junipers and other conifers
- Begin mowing warm grasses every 5 to 7 days. Maintain at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches
- Mulch planting beds to conserve moisture, deter weeds and keep soil cool.
- Be attentive to the water needs of new plantings.